Powered by Blog - Widget


Sunday, January 27, 2013

How to Use Your iPhone to Read Chinese Books to Your Children

As I mentioned before, cultivating a love for Chinese in my children is a work in progress.

I like to think that our efforts are bearing fruit. Noey is not as resistant when I speak Mandarin to him, though he is still not very comfortable with stringing his own sentences in response. I mostly get one/two word answers, but I'll take that for now! With this book-loving boy of mine, I've found that reading Chinese books to him has been the key. Sometimes he even picks up his Chinese books when it's time for bedtime stories -- ah, it warms the cockles of my anxious-Mummy-heart when he does that!

There's only one teensy problem: I'm not always able to read all the words in his books.

Chinese1Oh no, no hanyu pinyin! How liddat?

Thankfully I have my iPhone.

(Seriously, is there a task that we don't rely on our phones to help us with these days?)

Ideally, I would like to be able to scan page with my phone and have the unknown word read back to me while its meaning is flashed on my screen. Unfortunately, no one has built such an app yet. However, with a good dictionary app and the handwriting keyboard, I've managed to decipher almost every word/phrase that Noey's Chinese picture books have thrown at me.

This has been very useful to me, so I thought I'd share how I do this. Here's what you ned to do:

Step 1: Download a good Chinese dictionary app. Try KTDict C-E or Pleco.

Step 2: Install the Chinese Handwriting Keyboard on your iPhone.

To do this, go to Settings > General > Keyboards > Add New Keyboard. If you already have other keyboards installed, it's Keyboards > International Keyboards > Add New Keyboard.

Chinese2

You will be presented with a list of keyboards to choose from. Select Chinese - Simplified - Handwriting. (This should apply to most modern children's texts.)

Chinese3

Step 3: Now, go back to your newly downloaded KTdict C-E Chinese dictionary and launch it. Put your cursor in the search bar, then switch to the Chinese Handwriting keyboard by tapping on the globe icon on bottom row. 

Chinese5

Step 4: Use your finger and start writing the word you can't read. If you write it correctly, the word should pop up as an option on the right of your keyboard. Tap on the correct option to select.

Chinese4

Step 5: Learn a new word! The dictionary should recognise the word and interpret it for you, and provide you with the hanyu pinyin for it.

Chinese6

Step 6: Quickly take a pen and jot down the hanyu pinyin of the word on your kid's book. This way you won't be stuck again if you have to re-read the book subsequently.

If you're on Android, you can skip all these steps and just use Pleco. Install the app, launch it, and click the paintbrush icon to put you in handwriting mode. Then just use your finger and write away! The word suggestions will appear at the bottom of the screen.

*I decided to jot this down after repeating instructions to a number of friends within the last couple of months. I hope this helps other parents struggling to read Chinese like me!

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous28/1/13 11:25

    Thanks for sharing. I just skip the words i dunno. Haha.

    Just saying hi, cos I just started reading ur blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thanks for leaving a comment! Your nick looks familiar -- have definitely "seen" you around LJ :)

      I can't skip words now with the kids cos I point to the words while I read! Tho I admit to guessing quite a bit and just making it up sometimes :P But I try not to do that now since I'm trying to get Noey to learn the Chinese words too.

      Delete
  2. Oh thanks! So useful.
    And I would have thought the word is ..."shan" if I try to guess. HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea what it was at all! Couldn't guess and after the moments of silence, I had to check.

      Delete
  3. Very useful information! Was just wondering how to read some of the words in the kids' books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling of being stuck! Hope this helps! I feel so much better not having to skip words I don't know, or make them up.

      Delete
  4. thanks for the tip! I'm just starting my journey to help expose my girl to more Chinese too.. this will definitely be useful :)

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Ai! I hope it helps you out like it helped me!

      Delete
  5. Cool! I'd have to figure out how to do this on my Samsung S3!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Use the app Pleco if you're on Android! It has a handwriting keyboard function too. Will try to update my post to include this.

      Delete
  6. Thk u thk u! Was just wondering about this cos i have the same prob n sometimes I skip words when i am stuck! :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Me too! This is more convenient than thumbing through a paper dictionary :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...