Powered by Blog - Widget


Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Babies' Proms 2012

We attended this year's edition of the SSO Babies' Proms a couple of weeks back before Nomi fell ill.

It was the third year for Noey and I, and the first year for Nomi, but I was surprised to learn that this year's edition was the 10th anniversary concert. Wow! I didn't realise that Babies' Proms has been running for that long! It remains a highly popular concert with parents and young children, with the tickets selling out within days of going on sale. While I might grumble about the competition when it comes to getting seats, I am glad that parents are eager to bring their children to hear the orchestra play and expose them to classical music.

SSO1

I know some parents who think that the concert is over-rated, but I remain a fan. I've always enjoyed the concert, primarily because I enjoy listening to the SSO play. When I was younger, probably around the time when I was in Primary school, my mother had a colleague who used to regularly gift us her season tickets to SSO concerts. At least, that's what I think, since I have not asked my mother about this! But what I do remember is the music, and the excitement of dressing up and going for a concert at Victoria Concert Hall. That was also the time I fell in love with the violin, though it is an instrument I have never learnt to play.

So yes, I like classical music, though I'm definitely not hard core about it.

Which is another reason why I like Babies' Proms -- it makes the orchestra and the music more accessible to everyone. Also, which other event welcomes infants and tots and allows them into the Esplanade Concert Hall? I think stepping into the Concert Hall is an experience in itself.

Anyway, this being my third Babies' Proms, I really felt like an old hand. Hah.

SSO2

The programme followed pretty much the same format as previous years.

We were introduced to the Concert Master and then after that the orchestra, with each section separately playing the same piece of music. We were then made to experience how different music is used to evoke different scenes and emotions. Noey enjoyed the section with the "shark music" though he refused to participate in the marching. His favourite bit was when the SSO played Cheerful Cha Cha Cha  by Jill Townsend (a repeat from last year) and got the audience to clap to the "cha cha cha" beat. Noey really came alive then had his fun trying to fit the claps in at the right time! The rest of the time, he continued to refuse to follow along with the actions, but well, that's my son. And his absolute favourite was the part of the concert? When the children went on stage to conduct the orchestra. He was so tickled by that.

In contrast, little Nomi was quite happy to wave and clap when I told her to, though I don't think she really knew what was going on. But I think she enjoyed the concert. This girl does love music after all. She wore a rather wide-eyed look throughout, but I was glad that she didn't cry nor ask to go out of the concert hall. In fact, at times she stood on my lap and seemed ready to climb over the barrier in front of us to get closer to the action. 

At the end, the children were as usual invited to go on stage to get closer to the orchestra. I asked Noey but he flatly refused to go. Which I totally expected. In fact, I think the SSO playing Sleighride is, to him, the sign to get out of the concert hall -- they've played it for 3 years in a row as the closing tune! --  so that's what we did.

Short and sweet, but I enjoyed it, and I think the kids did too. I liked that this year's concert featured more modern themes and tunes, many of which were from the movies. The connection was lost on the children, but brought to mind plenty of memories for me! The pieces featured in the playlist made classical music feel less antiquated and alienating, and I like that.

Now, shall we go again next year?

 

2012 Playlist:

Excerpts from the following:

JAMES HORNER - Titanic
KLAUS BADELT - Pirates of the Carribean
GABRIEL FAURÉ - Pavane
GEORGES BIZET - March of The Toreadors from Carmen Suite No. 1
JILL TOWNSEND - Cheerful Cha Cha Cha
JOHN WILLIAMS - Tribute to John Williams
JOHANN STRAUSS II - Blue Danube Waltz
VARIOUS - Themes from 007
LALO SCHIFRIN - Theme from Mission: Impossible

4 comments:

  1. I had similar thoughts as you when I brought Shin and Shuo to the concert this year! The younger one seemed to enjoy following the actions while the older one just wasn't very keen at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey, you started a new blog! was wondering whether you decided to stop when i realised that the old one was deleted. maybe our older kids are more hesistant. i know Noey can take a while to warm up, and doing group actions is really not his thing :)

      Delete
  2. I thought it was great (as usual) but my kids obviously didn't this year. Ah well. My blog post on that coming up next week...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pity the girls didn't take to it this year. poor little B was really quite upset. next year? :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...