Powered by Blog - Widget


Monday, August 13, 2012

Breakfast: Waking Up to Spinach and Bacon Crustless Quiche

I'll be honest - Breakfast is probably my least favourite meal of the day. Waking up for breakfast means having less time to sleep-in in the mornings, and as you can imagine, between getting extra sleep and some food, sleep usually wins.

Then the kids came along and suddenly all that information that I'd pushed to be back of my mind about breakfast being the most important meal of the day started flooding back in uncomfortable clarity. I started planning breakfast for my two kids and finding it in me to get up to get breakfast prepared. 

It was probably also the fact that my children never let me sleep in, ever. 

Most days, Noey gets a cup of milk with either a bowl of cereal, or biscuits with cheese, or bread with jam, or a bun from a bakery. He's got to be up and ready to leave for school by 8am every morning and he's a super slow eater so there isn't much time for anything elaborate. Naomi gets fruit with rice cereal or oats, or soyghurt when it is available, and sometimes a cranberry bun or toast, just to mix it up a little. (She's got a milk protein allergy, which limits my options for her quite a bit.) In the weekends, when we have a bit more time, we'd have fish fingers, or sausages, or pancakes. Once in a very long while, we'll have french toast. Nothing very inspired, unfortunately.

So when Adora proposed this Breakfast for Champions series, I was excited. Partly to learn from other mums and increase our breakfast repertoire at home. But partly also because it gave me the perfect opportunity to try out a recipe that's been on my to-make list for a while: Spinach and Bacon Crustless Quiche. As the name suggests, this is a quiche, but baked in a dish without the crust. I'm glad I finally made this, because it tasted awesome. Even Noey, who generally doesn't like eggy stuff, pronounced it "very good".

This recipe comes from our Aunty Jud, but what I've reproduced includes modifications and tips of my own.

Spinach and Bacon Crustless Quiche
(Serves 6-8)

IMG 0948

Ingredients:

5 slices bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 eggs, whisked
1 ½ cups milk
½ cup self-raising flour
250g cheddar cheese, grated
200g spinach leaves, chopped
1-2 tomatoes, sliced
Salt to taste

Method:

1. Preheat your oven to 180°C and grease a baking dish. (I used an 8 inch pyrex casserole dish)

2. Fry the onion and bacon till onion softens. Set this aside to cool for about 5-10 mins.

IMG 0924

3. In a big bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, self-raising flour, cheddar cheese and spinach leaves. (Additional helpers are optional.)

IMG 0925

4. Stir the onion and bacon that you set aside earlier through the egg mixture and season with salt to taste.

5. Pour into your baking dish and garnish with tomato slices.

IMG 0932

6. Place in the oven and bake until the centre is set. This should take about 40 mins.

IMG 0944

7. Dish out and tuck in!

IMG 0945

Cooking notes:

♥ It helps to chop the spinach leaves into thin strips. I think strips of about 1cm in width would be optimal. I chopped mine roughly, thinking it would be fine since spinach shrinks a good deal when cooked. It was alright cooked, but I had some difficulty mixing them into the egg mixture because the big pieces were unwieldy.

♥ This recipe makes a good sized quiche and chances are there will be a good portion left for storage. Quiche can be easily kept in the fridge for up to three days, or stored in the freezer for a couple of months. This site has some good tips for storing and reheating quiche.

♥ Instead of making this quiche in a big baking dish, you can try pouring the batter into ramekins for individual portions instead. I made a couple in this batch which the children enjoyed. Do bear in mind that the smaller portions need less time to cook. Mine took about 25 mins.

IMG 0940IMG 0941

This post is my contribution to a Breakfast for Champions initiative. Click the button below to find out what other yummy delights you can make for your family!

 
Incidentally, today is also my husband's birthday.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEETIE!
There'll be good breakfast today. I promise!

20 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Another word for crust-less quiche is frittata :) its such a good idea to use ramekins! I use aluminium cupcake cups sometimes cos so lazy to wash up, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, thanks for leaving a comment! I always thought a frittata was something different, no? Maybe because I was under the impression that it's something you cook in a pan on the stove and then stick in the oven to cook further. Thanks for enlightening me :)

      Delete
  2. Looks really yummy! I've a packet of bacon in my fridge, shall use it to prepare the quiche breakfast this weekend if time permits! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. THanks for sharing this recipe - going to be a breakfast winner for my son. Egg+Bacon+Spinach = all his favorite stuff in a delicious recipe. Will definitely try this soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if K enjoyed it, Rachel!

      Delete
  4. Wah power looks super tasty! Maybe i should try it too haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty good :) Try it! Really not hard, except that grating cheesewas a bit tedious. I'm getting grated cheese the next time. :P

      Delete
  5. i absolutely LOVE quiche! i am so going to try this! so cute to see the kids hard at work while still in their PJs!!

    thanks for participating in the breakfast for champions partay!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think breakfast would have been on the table much quicker without the "help"! Thanks for inspiring me to do this! It was fun!

      Delete
  6. This looks like a yummy dish and easy to make as well, gonna try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun! The recipe is pretty straight-forward, though much easier WITHOUT the kids. Haha.

      Delete
  7. I love this idea. Do you need to grease the ramekins/baking tin with butter or olive oil or something to prevent the egg mixture from sticking too badly? I prepare vegetarian meals regularly and I'm going to try out a spinach-mushroom version! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, grease the container! It's in step 1. Should have put it on a separate line :) Spinach and mushroom sounds delicious!

      Delete
  8. Looks delicious. Wonder whether I can steam it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, thanks for leaving a comment! I really wouldn't know if you could steam it, but you could try. Maybe you'll have a new recipe to share :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for replying! I will try and see, hopefully soon! If I succeed, I'll post here to share! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes please! Look forward to hearing from you! :)

      Delete
  10. Hihi! We just tried your recipe today! It turned out great and I think we might be using the recipe a second time... thanks again for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks for letting me know Mama J! Sooo happy to hear that!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...