Powered by Blog - Widget


Saturday, April 21, 2012

On the Journey to Reading


We were out for tea with my Mum one afternoon a couple of months back when we walked past some movie posters.

"Look, Noey," said my Mum, drawing his attention to the nearest poster. She pointed at the first word. "What word is that? M-A-N," she said, sounding out each of the letters to the word.

"Man!" said Noey. "On a ledge," he said, reading the rest of the words.

My Mum looked at me, surprised. I shrugged. I was just as surprised that he could read the word "ledge".

"How do you know that word is "ledge"?" we asked him.

"Because the word is ledge," he said unhelpfully, as he bounced away to do something else which had caught his attention.

We left it as that.

**********

I've been meaning to post an update on Noey's reading progress for months but just never got round to it.

Since I last posted about trying to start him off on his reading journey, he has come a long way. At 3.5 years of age, he is currently reading pretty well, if I may say so myself. And for all my good intentions about wanting to teach him in some structured manner, in the end, practically all his learning was incidental and done in an ad-hoc manner. (That's just me -- I am so not a home-schooling mum!)

Older, more experienced parents previously told me that reading would come naturally when a child is read to a lot. While I had my doubts at that time, I have found this to be true. Noey, well, he just loves books. We regularly lug around a pile with us because we read to him at every mealtime. Mainly because he was so difficult to feed, and books were a good way to keep him seated and eating. When he was much younger, we would flip through the book and talk about the pictures to keep his attention. Then as he grew older and could focus better, we started reading the actual text. "The words!" he would demand. "Papa, read the words!" was his constant refrain on every page. It got quite annoying really!

Slowly he started picking up words from around him. "Stop" from the stop signs along the road, for example. We would point them out, and encourage him to spell the word. I also taught him a few simple words like "Go" and "Up" and "Me", and when I came across these words in books, I would pause and let Noey read the word. It often gave him a sense of achievement.

Noey reading D's shirt: "Get Cross ED! It has an exclamation mark so you say it loudly. ED!"

Fast forward to today, Noey is reading competently. He reads signs when we pass them. He reads words on T-shirts. He reads the occasional headline in the papers or the words in my e-mails or twitter pages as he reads over my shoulder. He still doesn't voluntarily read books on his own, preferring us to read to him. But when called upon, he can read long chunks of text, sometimes even surprising me with the words he can decipher. I tested him out by getting him to read Peter and Jane Book 2b - a book he had never read before - and he could read most of it himself, with minimal prompting.

Noey has a good grasp of the phonic sounds of all 26 letters of the alphabet, though he is only starting to recognise letter blends and come to terms with the fact that the rules don't always apply.

"How do you spell "Citroën"?" he asked me one day, a few weeks back.

"C-I...," I started.

"S! Not C!" he countered. "Citroën!" he said, emphasising the "Sss" sound at the start of the word.

I had to explain to him that "Ci" was phonetically different from its individual letters. I think he's still confused.

At this point, Noey can blend one-syllable words well. It's hit and miss with the two-syllable words, and I am still slowly teaching him to break up such longer words into different sections to read. For example, he was able to read the back page of this book on his own, only tripping over the word "himself":


He was able to read "him" and "self" on his own once I covered the other half of the word with my finger in the process of showing him how to break up the word.

The benefit of having been read to widely is that his vocabulary is strong. As such, I can see that he guesses a lot of words while reading, using contextual clues after sounding out the first couple of syllables phonetically to himself. He's actually pretty lazy when it comes to sounding out all the letters and will usually just take a stab at it using words he has in his vocabulary. Still, I think he's doing quite well at this point and am quite proud of him.

**********

I have set out below some of the methods/tools which we have used for teaching Noey. As I said earlier, a lot of this is ad-hoc, because I am just not diligent enough to make flashcards and follow through a consistent teaching programme. I think a lot of this is common sense, but I thought it would be useful to put down, at least for my own records so I can repeat this with Naomi in future.

Some of the things I have found helpful:

1. For phonics, Noey picked up most of his phonics from a set of old books that my neighbour passed to me. By Early World of Learning, the stories in the books involve a group of animals called the Alphabet Pals, and they teach a whole bunch of basic concepts including phonics. Unfortunately, these books are now out of print. However, the premise they employed is one that can be found in other phonic readers, namely, getting the reader to identify word that start with the same sound. eg, Danny Dog and his doughnuts, dog dish, diamond, etc. The repetition helps make the association between the letter and the sound.

2. I have left his school to re-emphasise his learning of phonics. They are using the Letterland series and it seems effective, since Noey comes home repeating stuff about Harry Hatman for the letter "H", for example. There are plenty of resources for this out in the market.

3. On the iPad, I downloaded Montessorium Intro to Letters (and Numbers as well) on a friend's recommendation. It teaches the phonic sounds for individual letters as well as letter blends. Noey does like it quite a bit. The clean design looks good too.

4. I got him the Bob books I had mentioned in my previous post, but Noey has spent more time playing with the iPhone app. It has the same words contained in the books, but is interactive, requiring the child to build the word phonetically. I like that it has different stages for the same page. Initially, the child is guided to put the letters together to form the word, but by stage 4, they throw in other random letters for him to choose from and there're no prompts. The word also has to be built in the right order to stick. Not a bad app.

5. As I mentioned earlier, we taught Noey some simple words like "go" and "up", which are commonly repeated in reading passages. I then make it a point to get him to read the word when I come across it in a book. I tried to choose high frequency words so that I would get a chance to get him to read quite often.

6. We play "guess the starting letter" games on the go. We do this quite a lot when on the road. I'd point out a tree for example and ask him what letter it starts with. When Noey gives me the wrong answer, whether deliberately or otherwise, I'd pronounce the word with the alphabet he suggested, and also with other permutations. Noey finds this very funny and we'd have a good laugh about it.

7. Building on #6 above, sometimes I would reverse it around and swop the starting letters for popular word blends and get him to pronounce/read them. Words groups like mat/bat/sat/cat or cap/gap/nap/map.

8. We play spelling games. We teach him to spell simple 2/3/4 letter words and take turns spelling them. We've done this very randomly. He learnt to spell "STOP" from the stop sign, and "OUT" from carpark signs. We just get him to repeat it to get it to sink in.

9. Read with him a lot!

With everything, we tried to keep it light.

This is still a work in progress. I will update more as we go along.

12 comments:

  1. Noey is very good at this. And it takes much effort to teach them to read or be interested in wanting to read/recognise words!
    Nat is way behind in this. Suppose this is really cos we don't really read to him alot, so this further suports the theory. We are trying to do catch up now, w Peter and Jane books. The issue with him, is his lack of concentration. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it doesn't matter when the kids start reading as long as they do eventually, but as parents, it's one of those things we just get anxious about. Actually Noey doesn't sit still and concentrate much either, unless it's something he's very interested in. Maybe engage Nat in reading skills in play?

      Delete
  2. Thaddeus used to like flipping books a lot and will listen when I read to him. Now his attention span is SO MUCH shorter and he throws the book when I'm halfway done with it. UGH!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's still v young babe! I'm sure you'll be able to engage him more as he gets older, especially since he used to show an interest. Naomi never showed an interest. Haha These days she can at least sit still for some pages before she wanders off and I consider it an improvement :)

      Delete
  3. Anonymous23/4/12 13:21

    Wow, I think that's really impressive for 3.5 years. After reading your first very helpful entry on Reading, I've started Shin on the Leapfrog DVDs and we are progressing a little on phonics but she's just interested in identifying the letters now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you found that helpful! I think it's actually good that she's exposed to phonics while learning her letters.

      Delete
  4. Yup, I'm so surprised that they are reading so early these days! 3.5 years still seems just out of toddlerhood to me. K's blending words (thanks mostly to phonics mastered at sch) but can't read them quite as fast as Bean (saw the amazing video) or Noey I reckon. She's just into sounding but even then it's quite amazing to us dino-era parents that she can actually READ signs and ads etc. The last thing that surprised me was "mental addition" complete with really cute hand actions. All credit to the school and none to lazy me (ok any effort i can muster is put into speaking mandarin to her haha).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be perfectly honest, I started reading at 2.5 years, and was devouring read-it-yourself books at 3, so I don't consider Noey particularly fast :P

      Mental addition is really cute! At least you're speaking mandarin to Kate! I've started doing that more recently too - realise that I have to give it a shot, as bad as I think my mandarin is.

      Delete
    2. wow really?! yr mum must have done a great job with you. I only read at about 5 or 6, and even then my (neighbourhood) pri sch teacher was v impressed with what I could read and put me on "show" to her colleagues.

      having said that, i must say that i don't really agree when people say "children are so much smarter these days". i think they are more tech-advanced due to exposure, but i don't think we were all that dodo in our era either!

      Delete
    3. My mum was a teacher! Back in the days when teaching was a half day job and teacher's kids all did v well in school :)

      I'm with you on your last statement. I too think it's more about exposure. We were plenty fast in our day too what! Haha.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous25/4/12 17:07

    I think Noey is very bright! Thanks for the tips - will try them out with Sean! Now I am trying to get him to recognise the alphabet but he is not really the most keen learner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noey does learn quickly, which is somethingi'm grateful for when I'm doing the teaching. But I have to catch him at the right moment when he's ready to learn too, if not he's just not interested. Sean might not seem interested now, but if you press on, he might suddenly surprise you by having learnt all his letters one day!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...