Powered by Blog - Widget


Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Gor-Gor Noey

One of the biggest questions -- and worries -- on our minds prior to Naomi's arrival was how Noey was going to take to her. As I've previously mentioned, he had never seemed too enthusiastic and could be counted on to make some uncomplimentary remark once in a while.

We had confidence however that once Naomi was with us, Noey would be fond of her, given his generally loving nature. And I'm glad that our faith in our little son does not appear to have been misplaced.

Giving Mei-Mei one of her first hugs in the hospital. And kisses. And "yuck-yucks" (ie. blowing raspberries into her cheeks in Noey-speak).

"That's my Mei-Mei and she's name is Day-O-Mi!" he would declare, proudly, when we ask him to introduce his sister. It never fails to make me smile when I hear that.

And when we let him hold his Mei-Mei for the first time, he was so so pleased.

"Noey was holding his own sister!" he said, repeatedly, for the next couple of days.

Since we've come home, he's gamely taken on his promotion to big brother and would refer to himself as "Gor-Gor Noey" rather than just "Noey". (He still likes to refer to himself in third person.) "Mei-Mei, look at Gor-Gor Noey", he said the other morning, as he tried to show her how to use the potty instead of a diaper.

"Congrats Gor-Gor!"
Gor-Gor Noey holding on to the little bear that he helped pick out at the hospital gift shop for his Mei-Mei.

That's not to say that he hasn't been jealous at all. He has. Once in a while, he would still say things like "Noey's a dragon and he will burn Mei-Mei." We figured this happens when he feels threatened, which is natural. So we don't make a fuss of it but simply tell him that he wouldn't want to do that, or that it isn't nice, and move right along to talking/doing something else. And he's been ok with it.

Again, it's only been a week, so it's early days yet. But everything else he's been doing, including the enthusiastic manner he greets his sister and the many times he tries to kiss her tells me that he's actually fond of his Mei-Mei so I think we're on the right track.

I think how each child interacts and receives a new sibling is very dependent on their personalities, but here are some of the things we did/are doing to help Noey with the new addition to the family.

One thing that we did NOT do, despite it being the done thing these days, was to get Noey a present and say it was from his Mei-Mei. Both DD and I separately concluded that such a gesture would do nothing to help Noey like his sister better. I really didn't think he cared who the gift was from, and I personally don't like the idea of bribing him. (I try to avoid using bribes at all when disciplining him, though the grandparents are ALWAYS doing it.) Both DD and I also don't like lying to him, and telling him that Mei-Mei arrived in this world bearing gifts for him just didn't feel right to us.

On hindsight, I think I might have considered giving Noey a "congratulations on your promotion to Gor-Gor" present, from us as his parents, because, well, it is a nice thing to celebrate. This occurred to me a bit late so that was that.

In any case, I think it is more important is to let him feel involved and that he is just as important to us as he used to be before Mei-Mei came into the picture. So what we've tried to do is:
  1. Encourage Noey to see his promotion to big boy/Gor-Gor status as a good thing by emphasising how he would, as Gor-Gor, be able to teach Mei-Mei things. We started telling him this during my pregnancy.
  2. When we first introduced Naomi to Noey in the hospital, we made sure that she was lying in her own bassinet and was not being carried or fed by Mummy. I had read this in a book and it seemed like good advice to me, to ensure that his first meeting with Mei-Mei was non-threatening.
  3. Try hard to avoid making Mei-Mei the reason why Mummy can't do things with him. Much the same way how when I was pregnant, I always told him I couldn't carry him because it was painful or tiring for me, and not because I was carrying Mei-Mei instead. It's not always possible and sometimes I have to explain to him that Mei-Mei needs my attention, but I figured doing it occasionally instead of repeatedly would be easier for him to accept.
  4. Allow Noey to interact as much as he likes with Naomi, without pushing him to do more than he wants to, or pushing him away. In this regard, we've had to instruct the grandparents and our helper that it is ok for Noey to "manhandle" Naomi, with supervision. They tended to try to pull him away because he can be a bit rough but it was obvious that it was only because he was so excited. We remind him to be gentle and not poke her eyes out or scream in her ears, but otherwise, we let him get as close to her as he wants to, within reason.
  5. Involve Noey in some of the activities surrounding Naomi, like getting him to also put some powder on her during a change, or teaching him to tell her not to cry "because Gor-Gor Noey's here" when she does.
  6. Give Noey ownership and affinity to Mei-Mei by referring to her as "Noey's Mei-Mei" (hence all the "MY Mei-Mei" declarations he's been making). Seeing how possessive kids can be, I feel this has actually really helped Noey feel like Mei-Mei is an addition to his world.

This evening when Noey stroked Naomi's head as I was feeding her and told us "Noey is sayang-ing Mei-Mei. Make sure Mei-Mei won't cry. Because Noey is a Gor-Gor!", I felt SO proud of him.

He might make a good Gor-Gor yet.

17 comments:

  1. That shot of Noey hugging Naomi is sooo sweet! He does look mighty pleased to be holding her and doing a great job as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lyn kang9/3/11 08:52

    Super! I'm sure he'll be a great kor kor... the kind all the girls in school wish they had. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's name is Day-O-Mi!

    How utterly adorable - those are very useful tips and I have to say you guys are doing a great job with two kids!!!

    PS. I too find it v weird that older siblings usually get a present from their newborn sister/brother! Just doesn't compute in my mind ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post (and photos) brought a tear to my eye! Very sweet. Thanks for sharing the tips - I shall refer to it when my time comes!

    I think the one about making sure the baby is in the crib (and not Mummy's arms) during the first meeting makes really good sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes very loving pic indeed.

    Although we did give our older 3yr old with a present from her mei2. She was delighted and estactic,and she brought an exchange present for mei2.It all depends on how u see it, we dont see em as bribery more of emotional comfort, as our 1st one is very emotional by nature.Also because 2nd one was born wth a slightly unexpected condition,she didnt get to hug or carry her till the 4th day in the hospital.

    Maybe because my 1st one is more sensitive,or older ,i realised she become very proctective over her mei2 and shower the 2nd one with lotsa kisses.

    Initally like u,when 1st one sleep and eat most time, i dont use her as a reason,but subsequently when no2 does become more demanding and mobile,you sometimes do have to tell ur no1 that indeed mei2 needs us, and we have to mend em but will be back shortly.

    In anyway, being a mom of 2, does bring a lot of challenges,but triple the satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shyanyan9/3/11 13:37

    Look at the tenderness in his eyes when he holds Mei Mei, yes I'm sure he makes a good Gor Gor. And thanks for sharing the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, I reared when I read this. I totally agree with you that there's no fixed way to getting a child to accept the new sibling. Looking forward to seeing your gorgeous girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww, noey will be a good gor-gor!

    this pic is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh it's so great to know that baby is here already! Baby Naomi is so angelic & cute. So mommy must take plenty of rest (if possible) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10/3/11 04:17

    Awwwwww well done gor gor and parents! ;) daph

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those tips are really a good read and something I will definitely keep in mind when I have no.2! Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oops that was me! :p

    ReplyDelete
  13. Noey is a great and affectionate gor-gor!

    We have to ask nat to kiss meimei before he will do so. Never on his own initiative!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Daphne He does get v excited around her. Prob still the novelty factor!

    @lyn kang I wish I had an elder brother myself! Hah. I hope they will be good to and for each other.

    @Debra The gift thing is just a practice that never gelled with me I guess. It's early days yet, but thanks for the encouragement :)

    @corsageAwww, thanks dear. I'm sure when the time comes Bubbles will be a wonderful elder sibling.

    @himawari Hey, thanks for sharing! I do think that what works for each child is different and it's for the parents to assess this and work out what's best for them. sounds like you did the right thing with your elder daughter. i know things will change as Naomi grows, and we'll have to adapt along the way. looking forward to it though :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Shyanyan @Candice @DaphI really hope he will continue to be! I do want them both to love each other.

    @Michelle Yup, it really depends! Each child, and each sibling is different! We really should meet up soon -- really miss you guys!

    @Dora Hi there! Thanks, I try to rest but it does get a bit tough sometimes!

    @AmandaThanks -- I'm sure Ellie would be a wonderful gor-gor too, when the time is right!

    @lilsnooze We'll see if he keeps it up after the novelty wears off!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The first shot for the post was just amazing! :) Thanks for sharing those tips, they will come in handy next time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh these are great tips! i've been kind of worried for a while about how S is ever going to handle another kid in the household (disclaimer, there is not another one on the way yet ok)

    but my sister did the whole 'present from baby' thing for my nephew when S was born! which i thought was really quite odd....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...